Glad Rags


On Coffee Buzz’s very first day of business, about mid-way through the afternoon a man came in and pronounced, “My name is Bruce. You don’t know it yet, but I’m going to be your favorite regular.” And then he left. We all laughed, what kind of self-proclaimed favorite regular doesn’t even buy anything? Little did we know then, he was right.
Bruce has been coming regularly ever since. It has been so fun getting to know him and his lovely wife Cheryl. Bruce has been working hard to spread the “buzz” and increase our business. He even sent out a mass e-mail informing his family and friends, "They are currently running a ‘Bruce Special’. Just wink at them with your right eye and say ‘the orangutan has pneumonia’ and receive .50 cents off your coffee drink." We definitely had a couple people come in and reluctantly wink at us! Hilarious! Bruce is a musician and has been professionally for 30 years; he plays in several bands and gives music lessons on the side. Bruce has been talking about one of his bands, Glad Rags, since we first met him.
Glad Rags is a 5 piece band that plays a cross section of popular rock music from the past 40 years.  They’re known for their fun and their energy on stage and are a step up from hiring a DJ but more reasonably priced then a 7 piece wedding band. If you’re looking for a band for a wedding or other event, you really should check them out! Here’s their website: http://www.bruceedward.com/Dance_Band.html
Last night, J and I got to see Bruce and Glad Rags in action! They booked a gig at Honey Lounge in Northeast Minneapolis. I have never been to Honey as it is a newer place and I really liked it. It’s in the basement of Ginger Hop and has a very loungey feel, which I’m assuming is what they were going for naming it Honey Lounge and all but it really does have that basement lounge appeal and I loved the décor. There were couches as well as small cocktail tables and a nice big area for the band leaving plenty of space for a dance floor. It was a great place to watch the band, but there was plenty more space for people wanting more privacy. Directly off the bar is a nice seating area with several couches and this crazy chandelier that I wish I could put in my house. I love it!

I was beyond impressed by Glad Rags. You never know what you’re going to get when you see a cover band, there’s so many bands that play the bar scene that are just terrible and I was pleasantly surprised that Glad Rags completely surpassed all my expectations. I should have known that with Bruce in charge they were going to fabulous but you never know. 

 They did everything from Stevie Wonder’s “Superstitious” to John Mayer’s “Why Georgia Why.” They did “Kiss” and “Purple Rain” by Prince and both were amazing! Special guest star Sara Renner joined them for “Disco Inferno” which I loved, Sara’s voice is amazing. Check her out here: http://www.sararenner.com/ The highlight of the show for me was without a doubt “Loveshack,” it’s one of my all time favorite songs and they did a great job of it! They ended the show with their own, fabulous version of Michael’s “Man in the Mirror.” I can’t say enough great things about the band and the show they put on last night! The hope is that after last night’s awesome turnout and fabulous show they will get a monthly gig at Honey. I sure hope they do because I am hereby proclaiming myself a Glad Rags groupie, and I don’t want to have to crash weddings to see them play….but I will.
 J, Bruce and I during the show
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...