
sPAULj
Jul 22, 11:33 PM
Oh, I could sooooo say something here, but it would probably be considered a racist flame-bait, so I'll just steer clear of it.
But I would say that it won't be me needing that particular feature...
*mumbles something to self about this being an English-speaking country and runs out of the thread*
The internet has no country lines; you arn't racist, but you may possibly be unsensitive to the enviorment in which you are speaking as there are a lot of people who would like to learn the spanish language outside the United States.
Additionally, please remember that although America's most commonly spoken language is English (or several varients of true English), there is no official national language in the United States. The easiest way to make sure that the U.S. stays mainly english (if you want it to) is by simply refusing to do otherwise. Complaining about people who want to learn another language in an atempt to get your point across only makes you look uneducated and rude (and thus is why people would jump to use the term "racist").
But I would say that it won't be me needing that particular feature...
*mumbles something to self about this being an English-speaking country and runs out of the thread*
The internet has no country lines; you arn't racist, but you may possibly be unsensitive to the enviorment in which you are speaking as there are a lot of people who would like to learn the spanish language outside the United States.
Additionally, please remember that although America's most commonly spoken language is English (or several varients of true English), there is no official national language in the United States. The easiest way to make sure that the U.S. stays mainly english (if you want it to) is by simply refusing to do otherwise. Complaining about people who want to learn another language in an atempt to get your point across only makes you look uneducated and rude (and thus is why people would jump to use the term "racist").

iStudentUK
Apr 4, 03:02 PM
A child does not naturally grow up to be socially responsible or kind. They naturally grow up to be self-centered and violent unless a parent or authority teaches them otherwise.
As negative as I think religion can be, it has set a code of conduct for people that enables cooperation and empathy for others. Although we don't need religion to teach people morals, we need some agreed upon code of conduct.
You might say that the laws of a country serve that purpose, but they don't. They are simply rules everyone must follow and any despotic ruler can set awful laws that can hurt people. Therefore, the code of conduct has to be separate from the law.
If atheism has any future, its needs some type of unified, agreed upon code.
Religion doesn't have an agreed upon code of conduct. Morals don't stem from religion! People use their morals to pick the best bits of religion to act on. Morals are actually much deeper than that- some other primates have been shown to exhibit different levels of morality.
As negative as I think religion can be, it has set a code of conduct for people that enables cooperation and empathy for others. Although we don't need religion to teach people morals, we need some agreed upon code of conduct.
You might say that the laws of a country serve that purpose, but they don't. They are simply rules everyone must follow and any despotic ruler can set awful laws that can hurt people. Therefore, the code of conduct has to be separate from the law.
If atheism has any future, its needs some type of unified, agreed upon code.
Religion doesn't have an agreed upon code of conduct. Morals don't stem from religion! People use their morals to pick the best bits of religion to act on. Morals are actually much deeper than that- some other primates have been shown to exhibit different levels of morality.

Ubuntu
Sep 13, 04:12 PM
The new ones are ever so slightly thinner and have rounded edges like a mini. I put mine up against my partners 1st gen (in it's rather scratched case) so you could see.
I changed my mind on the packaging pic too. When the iPod's in there it's like a little glass coffin :)
57407 57408
57410
Nice pictures!
I love it. Personally, I prefer the previous nano box, but if this is helping the environment then I'm happy!
I changed my mind on the packaging pic too. When the iPod's in there it's like a little glass coffin :)
57407 57408
57410
Nice pictures!
I love it. Personally, I prefer the previous nano box, but if this is helping the environment then I'm happy!

Eraserhead
Apr 2, 06:22 AM
And if the US spent even a fraction of the $600 billion a year it spends on its military on aid then we'd all be better off - free mosquito nets for Africans would be a good start (http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2011/03/libya_v_aid?page=4).

Rychy
Apr 11, 01:22 AM
Freakin Adobe! .5 update should be free and subscriptions suck.

gri
Mar 21, 02:51 PM
Ah well, Apple'll probably make back up the cost of that iPad through the apps that guy will buy in the app store on his iPad and on his Mac.
...if his wife lets him do that...
...if his wife lets him do that...

Biolizard
Mar 25, 02:09 PM
There's zero incentive for Apple to do that. They're in the business of making $$. If they made a phone, and supported it for 5 - 7 years, no one would buy new ones, therefore no revenue. It's all about making cash...
Plus, a phone going on 3 plus years is pretty good. You got you money's worth. Sell it on E Bay-or Craigslist, and make some cash. Or like you said, an iPod.
Please bear in mind that Apple were still selling the iPhone 3G in May last year, less than a year ago!
Plus, a phone going on 3 plus years is pretty good. You got you money's worth. Sell it on E Bay-or Craigslist, and make some cash. Or like you said, an iPod.
Please bear in mind that Apple were still selling the iPhone 3G in May last year, less than a year ago!

narco
Oct 15, 02:56 PM
My favorite part:
Microsoft has announced its new iPod competitor, Zune. It says that this device is all about building communities. Are you worried?
In a word, no. I've seen the demonstrations on the Internet about how you can find another person using a Zune and give them a song they can play three times. It takes forever. By the time you've gone through all that, the girl's got up and left! You're much better off to take one of your earbuds out and put it in her ear. Then you're connected with about two feet of headphone cable.
Fishes,
narco.
Microsoft has announced its new iPod competitor, Zune. It says that this device is all about building communities. Are you worried?
In a word, no. I've seen the demonstrations on the Internet about how you can find another person using a Zune and give them a song they can play three times. It takes forever. By the time you've gone through all that, the girl's got up and left! You're much better off to take one of your earbuds out and put it in her ear. Then you're connected with about two feet of headphone cable.
Fishes,
narco.

iRepublican
Sep 23, 11:16 PM
The New York Post.....hahaha
Only a bunch of idiotic liberals would believe anything that comes out of that rag.:D
Only a bunch of idiotic liberals would believe anything that comes out of that rag.:D

kresh
Aug 8, 05:40 AM
I don't mean to sound dumb, well to be honest I can't help it :p
But just how much space is this time machine going to eat up?
If it stores a backup of everything, that's going to get huge in a hurry. For example. What happens if I have a 400 MB video file and I make 20 changes, and save the file after every change.
I could see this growing to be a storage monster if it keeps every iteration of everything that I do. That 400 MB video would take up 8GB in my time machine, with 20 copies of it. Do that 100 times over a couple of years and that just gets nuts
Is it only going to store the actual changes and not the whole file again? This is making my head spin, could someone explain how it's going to store backups physically? I know it's not even out yet, but I figure that one of you really smart people already know how this will work. (You're all smarter than me hehe)
Thanks in advance :)
But just how much space is this time machine going to eat up?
If it stores a backup of everything, that's going to get huge in a hurry. For example. What happens if I have a 400 MB video file and I make 20 changes, and save the file after every change.
I could see this growing to be a storage monster if it keeps every iteration of everything that I do. That 400 MB video would take up 8GB in my time machine, with 20 copies of it. Do that 100 times over a couple of years and that just gets nuts
Is it only going to store the actual changes and not the whole file again? This is making my head spin, could someone explain how it's going to store backups physically? I know it's not even out yet, but I figure that one of you really smart people already know how this will work. (You're all smarter than me hehe)
Thanks in advance :)

azentropy
Sep 6, 09:08 AM
Nice update for those who want an iMac. Decent bump for the Mac mini too..
I'm sure the MBP will be updated soon and possibly the MB..
Like many others, I'm waiting for something more powerful and expandable than a Mac mini, but not as expensive as a Mac Pro and does not have an integrated LCD like an iMac (I have a 24" Dell already).
Something like:
1.83 Ghz Core Duo 2 (Conroe)
512 gig Ram (4 memory slots)
160Gig 3.5" SATA Drive (and one additonal empty bay)
Dual Layer Superdrive
PCIe Video Card (ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300GT)
1 additional PCI slot
Bluetooth/Airport
in something like a mini-tower case (about 2/3 size of Mac Pro)
Starting about what the iMac starts at ($1199)... With a more loaded one
2.16Ghz, 1Gig Ram, 250Gig HD, better video (say 7600GT) going up to $1599 or so...
Crossing my fingers for the 12th!
I'm sure the MBP will be updated soon and possibly the MB..
Like many others, I'm waiting for something more powerful and expandable than a Mac mini, but not as expensive as a Mac Pro and does not have an integrated LCD like an iMac (I have a 24" Dell already).
Something like:
1.83 Ghz Core Duo 2 (Conroe)
512 gig Ram (4 memory slots)
160Gig 3.5" SATA Drive (and one additonal empty bay)
Dual Layer Superdrive
PCIe Video Card (ATI X1600 or NVidia 7300GT)
1 additional PCI slot
Bluetooth/Airport
in something like a mini-tower case (about 2/3 size of Mac Pro)
Starting about what the iMac starts at ($1199)... With a more loaded one
2.16Ghz, 1Gig Ram, 250Gig HD, better video (say 7600GT) going up to $1599 or so...
Crossing my fingers for the 12th!

Jason S.
Apr 17, 09:07 PM
It's interesting that in a previous post, an Apple Store employee mentions the Best Buy ads having been set in place before the Japan Earthquake.
I believe it. These ad circulars, not just for Best Buy, are created and sometimes even printed weeks and months in advance.
I believe it. These ad circulars, not just for Best Buy, are created and sometimes even printed weeks and months in advance.

leekohler
Apr 4, 04:19 PM
I agree, but how will we make people feel guilty for murdering someone? I think we can teach children morals without religion but I think there needs to be some coordinated effort to make this possible. This author is at least trying.
Do you really think people are just gong to run around killing each other if there's no religion? Really?
Also, believe or not atheists get cancer, lose their jobs, and generally have hard times. People need comfort and support and if there is no religion then there has to be some structure in place to help people through these difficulties.
Yeah, I had a lot of rough times medically this year. I did not need to pray to some "god" to get through them.
Do you really think people are just gong to run around killing each other if there's no religion? Really?
Also, believe or not atheists get cancer, lose their jobs, and generally have hard times. People need comfort and support and if there is no religion then there has to be some structure in place to help people through these difficulties.
Yeah, I had a lot of rough times medically this year. I did not need to pray to some "god" to get through them.

Lara F
Apr 18, 05:28 PM
Extended warranties aren't always bad though - you think I want to deal with Sling if my Solo goes on the fritz? I was happy to pay a bit extra for the security of knowing I could go back to BB for two years (especially since reviews on Amazon have consistently pointed to issues shortly after the one year mark).
And I definitely wish I'd gotten it for my HDTV whose screen crapped out at 18 mos. :mad:
And I definitely wish I'd gotten it for my HDTV whose screen crapped out at 18 mos. :mad:

milani
Nov 12, 12:38 PM
http://www.tuaw.com/2009/11/11/facebook-app-developer-is-through-with-the-iphone-blames-app-st/
The original article, which makes a really great recommendation for Apple to remedy the absurdity of the review-process:
How about trying this: review after release for vetted developers. Once your first app has successfully made it through traditional review, you're marked as legit; subsequent upgrades and new releases go out without prior restraint, except in a few categories where Apple has to work within contract agreements (carrier restrictions on video or tethering, for example, or explicit sexual content). No more bug fixes waiting for weeks, no more wondering whether an innovative idea will ever see the light of day after spending months of effort and lots of money.
The original article, which makes a really great recommendation for Apple to remedy the absurdity of the review-process:
How about trying this: review after release for vetted developers. Once your first app has successfully made it through traditional review, you're marked as legit; subsequent upgrades and new releases go out without prior restraint, except in a few categories where Apple has to work within contract agreements (carrier restrictions on video or tethering, for example, or explicit sexual content). No more bug fixes waiting for weeks, no more wondering whether an innovative idea will ever see the light of day after spending months of effort and lots of money.

Multimedia
Jul 24, 12:57 PM
If apple does this right, it would be awesome. A screen similar to the sony ereader for reading and widescreen for movies.Yeah this would be a killer application and open up a whole new world of remote reading. Imagine having a whole ton of books including illustrations and graphics in that little iPod Video. Wow. :eek: :cool:

osustudent
Sep 22, 11:06 PM
There is nothing wrong with shopping at Wal-Mart, whether it be for school supplies, tv for a college dorm room, or toothpaste.
To the point, there are documentaries and sociological studies that exist documenting Wal-Mart's "bullying" ways in the marketplace. Just like the vacuum story - they demand lower prices from their suppliers so they can provide lower prices for customers. If they don't get what they want, they'll go to China. I hope they finally get caught. Wal-Mart is an easy target right now, but at least my toothpaste is cheap. :)
To the point, there are documentaries and sociological studies that exist documenting Wal-Mart's "bullying" ways in the marketplace. Just like the vacuum story - they demand lower prices from their suppliers so they can provide lower prices for customers. If they don't get what they want, they'll go to China. I hope they finally get caught. Wal-Mart is an easy target right now, but at least my toothpaste is cheap. :)

kinster
Nov 8, 09:14 AM
You would've had a machine that is only 10 percent slower than the new computers. Not all that worth it.
lol, who cares, got the extra 1gb for waiting. Are you unhappy because you got your prediction of "NOT going to happen, it's going to be next year" wrong?
lol, who cares, got the extra 1gb for waiting. Are you unhappy because you got your prediction of "NOT going to happen, it's going to be next year" wrong?

SevenInchScrew
Sep 30, 08:26 PM
Yes, you are right, but the story itself, in the little I've seen of it is just more of the same, but I have not given up. I'm hoping to get back into it this weekend. :)
Keep with it. The campaign is quite good, in my opinion. Oh, and also, make sure you stay through the credits. ;)
I am still working my way through the single player on legendary but once I am done I'll check out the firefight mode. I really liked a similar mode in Gears of War so I could see myself getting into that.
At its core, it is very similar to Horde mode from GoW2. You fight against waves and waves of Covenant, scoring points along the way. It was a little rough around the edges when they first did it in ODST, but now for Reach it is pretty awesome. You can do Matchmaking for it, if you want. Or you can set it up, and play custom versions. You can also play it in Versus mode, where it is 2v2; one team of 2 are Spartans, the other 2 are Elites. Spartans are trying to score points, Elites are trying to stop them. When the round is over, or the Spartans are out of lives, you switch sides, and see which team can end up with the most points in the end. It is a blast.
There is also a mode that Bungie created called "Gruntpocalypse" where it is nothing but waves and waves of Grunts, with the "Grunt Birthday Party" skull turned on. It sounds very basic, but killing hundreds of Grunts, the confetti popping out of their heads, and hearing the kids cheer YAAAAYY every time you headshot them just never gets old. :D
Keep with it. The campaign is quite good, in my opinion. Oh, and also, make sure you stay through the credits. ;)
I am still working my way through the single player on legendary but once I am done I'll check out the firefight mode. I really liked a similar mode in Gears of War so I could see myself getting into that.
At its core, it is very similar to Horde mode from GoW2. You fight against waves and waves of Covenant, scoring points along the way. It was a little rough around the edges when they first did it in ODST, but now for Reach it is pretty awesome. You can do Matchmaking for it, if you want. Or you can set it up, and play custom versions. You can also play it in Versus mode, where it is 2v2; one team of 2 are Spartans, the other 2 are Elites. Spartans are trying to score points, Elites are trying to stop them. When the round is over, or the Spartans are out of lives, you switch sides, and see which team can end up with the most points in the end. It is a blast.
There is also a mode that Bungie created called "Gruntpocalypse" where it is nothing but waves and waves of Grunts, with the "Grunt Birthday Party" skull turned on. It sounds very basic, but killing hundreds of Grunts, the confetti popping out of their heads, and hearing the kids cheer YAAAAYY every time you headshot them just never gets old. :D
kevingaffney
May 5, 02:17 AM
Apple needs to step up to the plate with ios5. The iPhone as it is, is good enough for most punters. Tweaking the hardware won't make a huge difference. Ipad2 a perfect example, nice upgrade but not essential. iOS is beginning to look a little dated and needs a major update rather than a few tweaks
Blorzoga
May 4, 09:49 PM
And it will be called:
iPad 3D.
You heard it here first folks.
Actually I heard it first three posts before you.
iPad 3D.
You heard it here first folks.
Actually I heard it first three posts before you.
~Shard~
Sep 6, 09:36 AM
Oh come on! :D Heee.... I was thinking the 1080i/p resolution might be a hint of what's to come on the 12th :) :cool:
Yeah, it definitely would be a great machine to watch HD movies on from the new iTMS Movie Store. And after that, combined with Leopard's as-yet-unannounced super-secret built-in Media Center technology, the next iMac revision will see 30" displays with built-in TV tuners, HDMI, etc. :eek: :D
It's showtime!!! :cool:
Yeah, it definitely would be a great machine to watch HD movies on from the new iTMS Movie Store. And after that, combined with Leopard's as-yet-unannounced super-secret built-in Media Center technology, the next iMac revision will see 30" displays with built-in TV tuners, HDMI, etc. :eek: :D
It's showtime!!! :cool:
Hunabku
Apr 13, 05:08 PM
Currently the Mac App Store has no way of offering an upgrade to existing Mac software. I don't see that changing.
I suspect that all these apps will be stripped of their sample media. They're all quite small without them. Perhaps Apple will sell those files separately on their own on DVDs?
Because you made a post that claimed our editing skills have nothing to do with creativiy or experience, but simply that 'knowing the software' is the only advangate we have.
Telling people that they're useless at their jobs is gonna make people bitter.
I don't feel pissy about this, but you basically told me that I really should be because I'm actually useless and only Final Cut's complexity has been making me appear smart, when in fact I was not.
Boy you are taking his post quite personally. I think you will find it true in many ways - not just NLEs - that people like to defend what worked for them before in the light of something fundamentally new and different.
We see these kinds of people come out of the woodwork whenever apple releases something groundbreaking. Not that you are one of them - at least you don't seem to be.
I suspect that all these apps will be stripped of their sample media. They're all quite small without them. Perhaps Apple will sell those files separately on their own on DVDs?
Because you made a post that claimed our editing skills have nothing to do with creativiy or experience, but simply that 'knowing the software' is the only advangate we have.
Telling people that they're useless at their jobs is gonna make people bitter.
I don't feel pissy about this, but you basically told me that I really should be because I'm actually useless and only Final Cut's complexity has been making me appear smart, when in fact I was not.
Boy you are taking his post quite personally. I think you will find it true in many ways - not just NLEs - that people like to defend what worked for them before in the light of something fundamentally new and different.
We see these kinds of people come out of the woodwork whenever apple releases something groundbreaking. Not that you are one of them - at least you don't seem to be.
techwarrior
Nov 12, 06:14 PM
Eh. He's replaceable. With any one of a massive raft of iPhone devs who would be more than eager to step in to replace him. Facebook doesn't really have much of a choice about developing for iPhone considering it's (iPhone) the rising star in the smartphone market, that people are clamoring for and waiting sometimes 8 weeks to buy one. If there is no Facebook app for iPhone, owners will go pounding on Facebook's door, not Apple's.
Absolutely spot on taster! There are thousands of talented developers willing to put up with the process. The iPhone is too important to FB, and FB is too important to Apple.
There are clearly improvements that users have been clamoring for that Joe has apparently resisted or doesn't know how to implement with Apple's blessings. These are features others have gotten by the App Store approval police, so this is probably a good thing for those of us who have been hoping for more from this app.
Absolutely spot on taster! There are thousands of talented developers willing to put up with the process. The iPhone is too important to FB, and FB is too important to Apple.
There are clearly improvements that users have been clamoring for that Joe has apparently resisted or doesn't know how to implement with Apple's blessings. These are features others have gotten by the App Store approval police, so this is probably a good thing for those of us who have been hoping for more from this app.
