Day 14, Dresden: A Beautiful, Modern City, or, What a Disappointment

Here we are, back in the past: September 23, 2008. Dresden, Germany.

But where's all the rubble?

I was to understand that some pretty ruthless American soldiers firebombed this place back to the stone age back in WWII. So what's the deal?

I see bustling streets, I see shopping centers, I see public transit. I see no fire, no rubble, no crying, scorched, homeless peasants.

What a disappointment.

Despite having bombed my expectations of a ruined city, Dresden is still a very cool place. Good bars, an interesting fascination with shisha, and some remarkably beautiful sites.

Pardon My Zwinger.

However, there are still a few remnants of the legendary firebombing, and the rebuilding process continues unabated.

Ugly-bombed by Allied forces in the 1980s, several decades after the conclusion of World War II.

Site of a future Starbucks, which will commemorate the victims of the Dresden bombings with its "Double-Caf Cinnamon Macchiato... It's The Bomb!"

Stereotypes busted:
- Dresden is a big pile of rubble

###
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...