Day 17, Prague: On Absinthe, or, Not Worth Losing an Ear Over

Today, I had two missions:

1) Finish the laundry that's been soaking in Diego's broken washing machine since yesterday.
2) Drink absinthe until I hallucinate.

Mission #1 wasn't much of a problem; Diego took me to a laundromat in town, and after a bit of shouting and way too much money spent on a single teaspoon of detergent, that was that.

Mission #2 was a bit trickier. Those of you who know me know that I'm not much for shots, particularly shots of anything that could melt a hole clear through a Buick. At 140 proof, "The Green Fairy" certainly fits the bill.

But I was committed. Any drink that can supposedly possess a man to slice off his own ear is a drink for which I'll gladly suffer. I suffered through three rather sizable shots. I would have gone for more, too, had the bar not closed.

Normal....

...Magic!

The conclusion I've come to is this: modern Absinthe is not a hallucinogen; it's just a strong fucking drink. Granted, the sort of drunk you get from absinthe is a bit different than the sort from, say, gin or beer or Listerine. It's a warm, smiley, I'd-hug-you-if-I-could-get-up sort of drunk. But it's also a sort that keeps you constantly preoccupied with wanting to hallucinate, so you eventually start forcing it.

If you ever see someone at a bar in Prague repeatedly waving his hand back and forth across his eyes, wearing a disappointed expression on his face, that guy was probably drinking Absinthe for the first time.

I'm treading a line dangerously close to plagiarism now, so I'll let Mitch Hedberg take it from here.



Regardless of its dubious hallucinogenic properties, absinthe does make a fine foundation for a night of solid boozing. Our crew (no Aussies, thank Crikey) ended up at a rather touristy disco bar in the center of town. I normally wouldn't have been thrilled about this, but it afforded me the opportunity to dance with some hot Asian chicks, so I didn't mind putting my tourist hat on and paying something like 4,000 Czech koruna for a beer.

Super terrific happy fun! Party time #1!

And I'm spent.

Busted Stereotypes:
- Absinthe is a hallucinogen

###
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...